Project Management is a function within an organization that defines the standards for project management. The main purpose of a PD is to make sure that projects and programs are run in a repeatable, standardized way. It is a function that provides decision support information, although it doesn’t make any decisions itself. A PD underpins the project delivery mechanisms by ensuring that all business change in an organization is managed in a controlled way. It has a range of functions, and the services they offer often depend on the maturity of the department and the skills of the people working in the PD. It usually provides.
- Governance: The PD ensures that decisions are taken by the right people, based on the right information. The governance role can also include audits or peer reviews, developing project and program structures and ensuring accountability at all levels.
- Transparency: The PD is responsible for providing information and being the single source of the truth. Information should be relevant and accurate to support effective decision-making, and provided to people in a way they can understand.
- Reusability: The PD facilitates the sharing of knowledge. This stops project teams from reinventing the wheel and makes the PD the central point for lessons learned, templates and best practice.
- Delivery support: The PD makes it easy for project teams to do their jobs by reducing bureaucracy, providing training, coaching, mentoring and quality assurance.
- Traceability: The PD also provides the function for managing documentation, project history and organizational knowledge.
PD teams fulfil a variety of functions on a day-to-day basis including:
- Gathering data about project progress and producing reports.
- Developing standards and processes.
- Encouraging (or enforcing where necessary) the use of those standards and processes.
- Managing resources for projects.
- Delivering training and mentoring project team members.
- Managing dependencies across multiple projects.
- Tracking and managing project benefits
Our Projects department is headed by a Deputy Manager under whom two Assistant Managers and several Sub Engineers are working.